Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Flood Shmuud!




I went out and shot today. My intentions were to shoot a house fire at 29 and Ronald Regan. The house was flooded, and firefighters had trouble getting to it. What an amazing find! However, Once I arrived the police had the entrance to the neighborhood blocked. There was no way I could get in. Determined to get something, I set out in search of some great photos!

Somehow I ended up off Oak Rd. The entire road was under water. I parked my car in a nearby subdivision, and walked about 1/4 past the road block. It looked like a loading dock at a lake. There were several vehicles out in the water. A red van to the right continued to sink minute by minute. I got the chance to talk to some people who witnessed some of the cars which had been stranded. A lady who lived near by informed us that a floating mound of red off in the distance was a search and rescue boat the capsized while it was rescuing the stranded. A police officer on the scene joked with everyone asking if that was their car out there as he took photos with his camera phone. Then, some teens came running out of the flooded woods, and we heard fire horns blow. They were scared and froze as we all watched a herd of firefighters coming down the blind drive yelling at the kids. The firefighters were there to retrieve their boat... :) Moments after, another officer arrived on the scene and kicked us out. On the walk back, I got to speak with a lady that lives right next to this mess. She told me her house was unharmed, and she didn't have flood insurance. If the water had broken to the right rather than the left, her house would have been floating. Just before I departed, I asked her if she was planing on getting flood insurance after this. "Um... Maybe," She responded. I smirked, put my head down and kept towards my car.
I think the coolest part about this was everyone thought I was from "the paper." In the future instead of revealing myself as a student, I will refer to myself as a Freelance Journalist.

2 comments:

Colors Of Life Photography said...

Ummm hmmm...It's happening..lol.. You are going to love photojournalism after all. Great post. It is really a rush when you do get to shoot for a paper or are part of those granted media access. And remember, you can get into alot of places with your student ID so keep it on you.

Sheri Finch said...

....it really depends on the situation. Sometimes you have to act like you belong there and nobody will question you, but other times you can gain more access by being a student. We will talk about all of this in PJ class.

Post a Comment