Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I socks a soggy.

Photo ripped from Jayne's facebook

It has been raining here in the metro area for roughly a week straight now. I'm talking POURING. Record rainfall! Lake Lanier has risen over 2 feet since Sunday. Creeks normally considered flooded at 12 feet are now over 23 feet. Gwinnett County is among the worst hit. Schools have been closed today, and will remian closed tommorow. Major roads have flooded with feet of standing water. Interstates are being shut down because of the flooding. The downtown connector, 78, i20, Ronald Regan, Sugarloaf and countless more. People are having trouble getting to and from work. What is normally a 45 minute drive has become over 5 hours, or indefinite! Houses are washing away without warning. People are dying. It's just crazy. This is the perfect time for photo journalism. I would love to go out a shoot. However, when should a photographer draw the line between safety and a photo. I've risked myself for a couple photos before, but realizing the danger after I did it. With adrenaline rushing, I didn't think. Getting the shot was my mode. How can I consciously venture out to shoot mudslides, and sudden downpours, and flash flooding, and cars being swept away with a sudden surge of water? On the other hand, I'm regretting every second I'm not out there. I guess some words of encouragement/discouragement would help.

2 comments:

Colors Of Life Photography said...

Come on Damian..You can do it. I shot all afternoon. :-) I love it. Just keep your gear dry and park away and higher than moving water. I am still hoping for a hurricane this season. I know..I gots an idea.. I say you, Amanda, Demetrius and I take a trip with the Twister Sisters..I just can't get enough of this stuff. I think the scariest situation I got myself and Rob into was during Hurrican Gustav. I will post a couple of close calls on my blog tomorrow.

Damian AhChing said...

Yes! That's an amazing idea. When I was out in Kansas, I was praying for a tornado. But yes, I'm in with the tornado thing, and if there's an invite open, I'm down for the hurricane thing!

I just might venture out tommorow to shoot. I guess I shouldn't think, and just do right? :)

I think we should create a blog called CLOSE CALLS, and make it about a photographer's near death experience, and the photo they were able to get! Have photographers from all over post. Yes sir! we will make this happen.

Post a Comment